Parokya ni Edgar frontman Chito Miranda admires his girlfriend, celebrity Neri Naig’s “strength” even amid controversy, and more so now that she has finally returned to work.
“She’s unbelievably strong but not thick-skinned. She took it hard—kumbaga sa boxing nasuntok talaga siya ng malakas—but when you are surrounded by people who love you, it makes everything easier,” he said, referring to a controversial video they were part of a few months back.
He did not detail her current projects except that the offers to her were made before the “incident” happened, and more importantly, these stand even after all.
“After the incident, she didn’t want to work muna but ‘yung mga TV stations, parang sinasabi nila na, ‘We don’t care about that—we want you to be on the show no matter how big or small the role is.’ They were all very supportive, just like our friends that didn’t make an issue out of it as well,”
They have “plans” regarding marriage though Chito finds it “corny” discussing it publicly.
“It’s something to be discussed na personal with people pero siyempre, when you are in a relationship, you always want to think na this would be it,” said he who will be spending this Christmas with Neri in Dubai.
Looking back on 2013, the singer-songwriter is happy that the storms they weathered served to remind them just how much they are loved.
“It’s a blessing, an inspiration. It’s an example also to be more responsible.”
Parokya ni Edgar has just released “Bente” under Universal Records in time for their 20th year anniversary in the business.
Based on the continued proliferation of a good number of so-called “sex scandals” on the Net, which often involve videos and photos of celebs caught in compromising acts, much work needs to be done to instill in netizens a deep sense of responsibility and accountability.
The price of fame?
Miranda and Naig already admitted to the authenticity of the supposed sex video that emerged August. The duo had already apologized to the public even as Miranda himself swiftly filed a formal complaint at the National Bureau of Investigation in his aim to fast track investigations that might lead to the capture and prosecution of those responsible behind the spread of the video.
Miranda has claimed in various reports that his home had been burglarized and that among things carried away by the thief or thieves was a hard drive that contained the private video, among other files.
Meanwhile, Bayola is yet to comment on the issue as of this writing.
Body of evidence?
But according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Bayola has already brought the case to their attention.
Vic Lorenzo, executive director of NBI’s Cybercrime Division, confirmed this to ABS-CBN News revealing that an investigation into the matter is already ongoing.
Wally’s alleged sex video surfaced online some weeks ago. It purportedly shows a man that resembles the 41-year-old TV host having sexual intercourse with a female partner.
Lorenzo said they are yet to establish a motive behind the propagation of the video maintaining that it would be hard for them to form some basis without proof of evidence.
“Kailangan may basis ka when you make that allegation. Or when you make a concrete theory, dapat may traces ka na galing din do’n sa source na ‘yon,” Lorenzo explained.
“Kung wala kang evidence to back up that theory, wala kang basis to talk with them (suspects), to confront them, to allege anything,” he added.
With the media seemingly hinting at allegations of extortion particularly as the celebrities involved are quite popular if successful, Lorenzo said that so far, no attempt of extortion has been brought up in the investigation.
“Kung may nag-extort kasi, makikita mo agad ang motivation, pero dahil wala pa, we can only theorize kung ano ang possible motives.”
Love never dies?
Meanwhile, another video of Miranda and Naig emerged on Monday.
The clip, which is 11 minutes and 20 seconds long, is apparently different from the first video that spread in August.
But Miranda quickly downplayed the issue via image-sharing site Instagram on the same day.
“Mahal na mahal namin ang isa’t-isa. The more na subukan nilang guluhin ang buhay namin, mas lalo lang tumitibay ang pagmamahalan at samahan namin,” he posted.
This is seemingly echoed by a report on “The Buzz,” some weeks back, which, citing a “source,” said that Bayola and his wife are still together and they intend to weather the storm hand in hand.
Lorenzo revealed that they already have a lead in the Miranda-Naig case.
“So far, may mga leads, and actually meron na lang kaming isang hard drive na hinihintay,” he told ABS-CBN News noting that they are coordinating with “counterparts abroad” to finally pinpoint the “source” of the videos.
Apparently, the NBI is inclined to believe that the first and second Miranda-Naig sex videos were uploaded by the same suspect or suspects, but that they are yet to establish definitive links.
“Ang theory namin is iisa lang ang source. Itong part one na sinasabi nila, baka siya din ang source… Kaya lang noong nag-focus kami sa part two ng video, ili-link pa namin ‘yan. Kasi we only started following some leads doon sa part two,” he said.
Lorenzo warned those who continue to spread the alleged sex videos and similar clips that they could be charged with violation of Republic Act 9995 or the Anti-Photo and Video Voyeurism Act of 2009.
“This is penalized for a minimum of three years and a maximum of seven years. Even when you download it, tapos ginawa mong CD ‘yan, you will be violating that particular law. Theoretically, pwede kang maging liable if you download even via streaming, kasi in effect dina-download mo ‘yan, ‘diba. Technically, you could be charged for 9995,” he said.
Lorenzo admitted however that it will be difficult to track down and charge those who have downloaded such videos.
“How can you charge 2,800 hits na one minute palang naa-upload? In reality mahirap mag-charge ng ganoon karami,” he said.
He went on to assess the challenges involved in regulating cyberspace.
“Unang-una kasi, hindi mo regulated ang internet. Anybody could use the power of the internet, leverage on the power of Internet to create anonymity. Hindi mo malalaman kung sino (ang mga nag-u-upload o nagda-download), ‘yun ang mga challenges namin.
“Hindi katulad sa mga ordinary crimes na may footprints, fingerprints na mare-recover ka physically. Ito, ang investigation mo, you’re tracing ‘yung origin or culprit or the one who upload the video on cyberspace. Hindi sa real world,” he said.
Parokya ni Edgar frontman Chito Miranda remains calm despite the proliferation online of his and girlfriend Neri Naig’s second sex video.
Seemingly addressing this latest development, Chito posted a photo of themselves on Instagram captioned, “Mahal na mahal namin ang isa’t-isa. The more na subukan nilang guluhin ang buhay namin, mas lalo lang tumitibay ang pagmamahalan at samahan namin.”
The second video which immediately went viral upon upload on Sept. 30 is said to show a steamier encounter between the two. The video is much longer (11 minutes and 20 seconds) than the first which came out August.
Fans of the rock artist posted messages of support on his Instagram.